Ready for Prime Time, Hardy and Vincent Set For TV

vincent hardy

vincent hardy

If you are a fan of women’s boxing, there is no bigger fight that can be made in the sport right now. Heather Hardy (17-0) and Shelly Vincent (18-0), both world-rated and undefeated, have been baiting and verbally accosting each other for years. There is a legitimate hatred between the two that will surely not subside after they share the ring on August 21st.

Vincent began appearing at Hardy’s fights at Roseland Ballroom, which has since closed down, calling out the former amateur national and New York Golden Gloves champion, dating back to 2012, and the two have been combative ever since.

A longtime supporter of women’s boxing, and promoter of Hardy since her pro debut, Lou DiBella knew how big this fight could be not just for women’s boxing but for boxing in general. Hardy is one of the biggest draws in all of New York, while Vincent has an extensive fan base throughout the New England area. So when DiBella signed Vincent at the beginning of this year, potential for the bout to finally happen picked up major steam.

 

The two nearly came to blows at Vincent’s DBE debut in January at BB King Blues Club and Grill in NYC, and would have agreed to fight anywhere, any time, if it were up to them. DiBella, though, knew they deserved more. Their fight deserved the proper platform, and the proper stage to showcase this long talked about, and eagerly anticipated fight.

“This fight needed to be on TV, given everything these girls have been through, for how hard they have worked to get to this point, and for how long the buildup to this fight has been. My job as their promoter was to make sure that the fight was televised,” said DiBella.

Enter PBC and NBCSN. Since its inception in March of last year, Premier Boxing Champions has brought boxing back to the forefront, accessible to mainstream sports fans, providing coverage of some of boxing’s biggest fights, televised live, for free and in primetime on major cable networks CBS, NBC, and FOX. Now, on August 21st, the ladies will finally have their shot. The Hardy-Vincent bout, which will serve as the co-main event on the NBCSN telecast, will air in primetime starting at 9 p.m. ET.

“I was given the opportunity by PBC to put this bout on NBCSN and I think that’s a big thing for women’s boxing to have a fight like this on television. Hopefully, this is going to open the door for more females to have these types of opportunities because they deserve it. They deserve to have the opportunity and the ability to continue to grow in a sport that, for centuries, has been dominated by males. This is a major step in that direction,” continued DiBella.

DiBella held a media luncheon for Hardy and Vincent last week to officially announce the bout, and while the two women were respectful and civil for the most part, there was a definite tension in the air. Now, with just a little over a week to go until fight night, both Hardy and Vincent are more than ready to put on a show.

“This fight is a long time coming,” said Hardy. “Shelly has been very vocal about how I’m not good enough, I’m not strong enough, and I’m not smart enough. I stayed quiet though, minding my own business and going about my career, because my mother taught me never to wrestle with a pig. She said that if you wrestle with a pig, you’ll both get dirty and that’s what the pig wants. Come fight night, she will be forced to eat every word she has ever said about me. It’ll just be me and her alone in that ring, and she has nowhere to run, no mask to hide behind and nothing more to say. We will see who the real champion is on August 21.”

Hardy continued, “I am very thankful to PBC and especially to Lou for everything that he’s done to make this fight happen. I know it wasn’t easy and he put up a hell of a fight to get this bout televised. In 2016, it’s not acceptable for doors to still be closed to women. It’s my responsibility, as the parent of a young girl, to fight for her and for every little girl banging away at a punching bag in the boxing gym with dreams of fighting on the biggest stages throughout the world. We deserve the chance to showcase ourselves, and on August 21, we finally have our moment.”

“I have wanted this fight for so long, it’s all I have thought about. I wanted this as bad as I have wanted to bring my mother back to life,” said Vincent. “The hype, the attitude, all the talk is almost over. This is going to be a great fight. Everyone says Lou signed me to use me as an opponent for her, but I know that’s not the case. She wants to be called ‘The Heat’, well I am telling you right now, she’s about to walk through hell. I know how hard that is, because I have been there before in life. I have been fighting my entire life. When I get in the ring, that’s fun for me. Heather has improved in the last couple of years because she has been training for me. She knows that she has to be her absolute best to beat me, and I know that she will be. Unfortunately for her, it still won’t matter. I want to thank PBC and NBCSN and of course Lou for giving us a chance and an opportunity that we have been fighting to achieve for years. This fight is huge for women’s boxing as a whole. This is an opportunity of hope. Hope for all those young girls out there in the world training day in and day out, dreaming of making it big. This fight is history, and I am happy to be a part of it.”

DiBella Entertainment Inks Richar Abril to Promotional Contract

wpid-wp-1457546441321.jpeg

image

New York, NY (3/8/16) – Looking to further boost its ever-growing stable of top contenders and highly regarded up-and-coming prospects, DiBella Entertainment has announced the signing of former WBA world lightweight champion Richar Abril (19-3-1, 8KO’s) to an exclusive promotional contract. Abril is expected to make his much-anticipated ring return this spring with the bout likely taking place in New York. 
 
A gifted boxer with exceptional hand speed and movement, Abril will be returning to the ring after a year and a half absence. Following his world title defense against previously unbeaten Edis Tatli (23-0) in September 2014, Abril was stricken with dengue fever that he contracted from a mosquito bite while training in Cuba to defend his title against Derry Matthews in early 2015. Abril was forced to vacate his title as he battled through the illness. Now back and 100 percent healthy, Abril will look to quickly regain his world championship under the DiBella Entertainment banner.
 
“I want to thank Lou DiBella and DiBella Entertainment for giving me this great opportunity,” stated Abril. “The last 18 months have been very difficult for me and I was disappointed that the WBA took my title without allowing me to defend it in the ring.. Now, under Lou’s guidance, I know that I will once again become world champion.”
 
“Richar Abril is a supremely talented former world champion and I am honored to promote his comeback,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “He did not lose his title in the ring. His hiatus was caused by an illness from which he has now fully recovered. In fact, each of his losses came via highly debatable split decisions. He is a gifted technician but understands the importance of entertaining fans on this new drive to a world title. I will work hard to bring Richar the best opportunities to win a lightweight or junior welterweight championship and regain his status among boxing’s elite.”
 
“We are very excited to now be working with one of the best promoters in boxing, Lou DiBella,” said Greg Bloom, attorney for Abril. “Lou knows how to build champions and Richar is very eager to prove that he is still the best lightweight in the world. Everyone at 135 and 140lbs. should be very afraid.”
 
The 33-year-old Cuban Abril’s three losses are highly debatable. All three losses have come via split decision against then-undefeated contenders Hank Lundy and Breidis Prescott, with the last defeat coming at the hands of Brandon Rios for the vacant WBA world title. Following the controversial loss to Rios, who failed to make weight for the bout, Abril, then the interim WBA champion, was elevated to regular champion. Abril twice defended his title, first against 23-0 Sharif Bogere in March of 2013, before traveling to Finland where he defeated the aforementioned Tatli.
 
Photo credit: Mike Cerniglia

Chris Galeano Dominates Shawn Cameron In Broadway Boxing Brawl

wpid-wp-1448343896887.jpeg

New York, NY (11/21/15) – On Friday evening, DiBella Entertainment’s Broadway Boxing returned to the Aviator Sports and Events Center in Brooklyn, NY, for the latest installment of the popular series.

image

(Photo Credit: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment)

The main event featured a battle of the boroughs between Bronx’s Chris “Golden” Galeano, 156½, and Brooklyn’s Shawn “Killa” Cameron, 156½, with the vacant New York State middleweight title at stake. The 10-round affair was a classic boxer versus puncher matchup of styles between two southpaws with each displaying their strengths. Many rounds consisted of exciting exchanges when the two engaged on the inside. Cameron appeared to control the early rounds with his pressure and aggression, throwing in combination. However, by the fifth frame, he was winded and Galeano’s slick boxing skills took over. Over the second half, Galeano calculatingly countered Cameron’s wide-open advances with pinpoint straight lefts. Though Cameron’s offense was reduced to throwing wild bombs, he showed heart to battle back as best he could till the final bell. The judges tallied scores of 99-91, 98-92, and 97-93, all for Galeano, who improved to 10-0 (1 KO) with the unanimous decision verdict. Cameron suffered his first defeat, bringing his record to 10-1 (5 KOs).
 
Brooklyn’s own former two-time world champion Amanda Serrano, 128¾, battled the brave and game Djemilla Gontaruk, 135½, of Liege, Belgium, in an eight-round junior welterweight contest.. Serrano began throwing in combination at the outset, and was particularly effective with her right hook. Gontaruk did her best to bully her way inside, but whenever she closed the gap, Serrano would intelligently take a half-step back to create distance and land those short hooks. Though Gontaruk showed tremendous heart, referee Sparkle Lee felt she was taking too much punishment and elected to halt the action at 1:38 of round three. With the victory, Serrano upped her record to 25-1-1 (17 KOs), while Gontaruk fell to 9-3 (1 KO).
 

image

(Photo Credit: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment)

A native of County Cork, Ireland, the 21-year-old Noel Murphy, 146½, improved to 5-0 (2 KOs) with a very impressive performance against the tough Anton Williamson, 147½, of Brooklyn. The aggressive Murphy applied pressure and overpowered Williamson in every round. A right hook dropped Williamson in round four, but the referee ruled it a slip. The Irishman landed thudding hooks to the body, accurate countershots, and demonstrated deft footwork and defense to earn a four-round unanimous decision with three scores of 40-36. Williamson is now 1-6. Murphy was a multi-time national champion as an amateur before relocating to Yonkers, NY, and embarking on his professional career in November of last year. Murphy has quickly become one of the more popular up-and-comers throughout the New York area.
 
In his pro debut, welterweight Tyrone James, 146½, of Elmont, NY, outworked the awkward David Perez, 144, now 0-2, of Pittsburgh, PA, before halting him in round three. James pumped his jab repeatedly to keep the wild-swinging Perez under control. An overhand right dropped Perez near the end of the first frame. In the second, James began to hurt Perez with hooks downstairs, but then returned his focus to his overhand right, which just could not miss. Another overhand right felled Perez for good at the 2:33 mark of the third. James had a very successful amateur career, which included a finals appearance at the 2015 Golden Gloves and winning the NY Amateur Boxing championships this year as well.
 

image

(Photo Credit: Ed Diller/DiBella Entertainment)

Russian middleweight southpaw Artur Akavov, 160¼, and current WBO European titlist, made an impressive US debut demolishing Fredy Lopez, 157½, of Chiapas, Mexico, inside two frames. Keeping Lopez at bay with a stiff jab, Akavov would unleash powerful straight lefts upstairs. In round two, Akavov went underneath with his straight left to drop Lopez. Cringing in pain, Lopez made it to his feet, but was deemed unable to continue, resulting in a TKO at the 2:04 mark. Now 15-1 (6 KOs), Akavav has rattled off 10 consecutive victories since dropping a close decision to Oleg Liseev in 2012. Lopez saw his record dip to 10-3 (7 KOs).
 
Freeport’s Patrick Day, 154, the former #1-rated U.S. amateur and NY Golden Gloves champion, was shockingly upset by Carlos Garcia, 153½, of Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. An overhand right hurt Day in round one and Garcia threw a follow-up barrage to force a referee stoppage at 1:19 of the frame. Day fell to 11-2-1 (6 KOs), while Garcia upped his record to 9-14-1 (8 KOs).
 
Canadian super middleweight prospect Francy Ntetu, 168, of Montreal, tactically outboxed Oscar Riojas, 169½, of Monterrey, Mexico, over eight rounds, often switching stances to mix up his attack. Whenever Riojas would duck, Ntetu wisely threw his right uppercut. Riojas did his best to engage Ntetu, throwing wild haymakers hoping to disrupt his foe’s rhythm. A point was deducted from Ntetu in round four for landing a low blow. An overhand right badly wobbled Riojas in the eighth and final round. Scorecards read 77-74 and 76-75 for Ntetu, and 76-74 for Riojas, improving the Canadian’s record to 16-0 (3 KOs). Riojas fell to 9-4 (3 KOs).
 
 
For additional information, you can visit www.dbe1.com, follow us on Twitter @loudibella @DiBellaEnt or like our fan page on facebook/DiBellaEntertainment.

ContactUs.com