Cameron Hammond To Face Toughest Test On Mundine vs Hartley Bill In Melbourne

AUSSIE sensation Cameron Hammond says he’ll be more than happy if he has to box his way to victory over Sahlan Coral on the undercard of the big Mundine v Hartley bill in Melbourne on November 11.
 
The 2012 Olympian has shown his devastating power in recent outings, with his last four opponents failing to hear the final bell.
 
But he’s prepared to go the long route to take his record winning run to 15 fights and move a step closer to his dream of winning the Commonwealth welterweight title.
 
“I’ve got a good run of knockouts happening at the moment, but I honestly don’t go looking for it at all,” Hammond, 26, said.
 
“If it happens, it happens. I’ve been stopping guys with one shot lately which is exciting, but I’m more than happy going the distance too.
 
“I don’t really know that much about my opponent apart from the fact he’s going to be tough. I don’t really tend to watch much footage of them before the fight, I leave all that to my team. My trainer Mark Grech comes up with the game plan and I try and follow it.”
 
“I’m just excited to be jumping back in again. Ricky [Hatton] has been keeping me really active and I thank him for that. I couldn’t ask for more.”
 
Matt Clark, Hammond’s manager, believes Coral is the perfect test for Hammond at this stage of his career.
 
The Indonesian has an all-action style that has seen him win 14 of 17 fights with eight knockouts and he’s sure to come out all guns blazing on November 11.
 
“Coral is another tough rugged opponent for Cameron and he really comes to fight. He’s never been stopped and is the former Indonesian champion. It will be Hammo’s toughest fight to date I would think,” Clark said.
 
“We are confident Cameron has the tools to get the job done. We are really happy with how he’s developing as a professional. He’s coming along nicely and he has things that you can’t really teach. I’d say he’s got the best jab in Australia across all the divisions.”

Mundine Gets Cold Feet. Backs Out of Title Fight vs Andrade

PROVIDENCE (July 20, 2015) – The long awaited ring return for undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior middleweight champion Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) has, unfortunately, hit another roadblock as Anthony “The Man” Mundine (47-7, 27 KOs) has reneged on an agreement to challenge Andrade next month in his native Australia.

“We agreed to terms with Mundine’s promoter but have heard nothing back since then,” 27-year-old Andrade explained. “Mundine calls out (Floyd) Mayweather but he won’t take a legitimate WBO World title fight at 154 pounds in his own country? Same old story, I guess. Everybody wants something until they have a chance to really get it.”

“Anthony Mundine’s team had one of those careful-what-you-wish-for moments,” Andrade’s manager Ed Farris noted, “in which Demetrius accepted all of their requested terms, including Demetrius putting up his WBO belt to fight Mundine on his own home turf. After previously agreeing to fight Andrade, Mundine’s team has now had a change of heart, and they apparently are looking to fight a lesser opponent.”

Andrade hasn’t fought since he destroyed WBO No. 1 mandatory contender Brian Rose (25-1-1) in seven rounds on June 14, 2014. Unable to lure either Mayweather or Miquel Cotto into a mega-fight, nor WBO No. 1 contender Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, or even a unification with WBA champion Erislandy “The American Dream” Lara, 2008 U.S. Olympian Andrade believed that he finally had a title defense locked in for next month against former two-time super middleweight world champion Mundine.

“I don’t understand,” a frustrated Andrade added. “We offered this guy a chance to win the championship of the world in his home country and he looked for a way out instead? What kind of fighter is he? Any real fighter would do anything for that kind of an opportunity.”

Follow Demetrius Andrade on Twitter @AndradeATeam or @BooBooBoxing.

Zhanat Zhakiyanov Scores Sixth Round Stoppage Over Hector Guzman in Bulgaria

KAZAKH Powerhouse Zhanat Zhakiyanov won the WBA International title and scored his 12 successive stoppage when he halted Argentina’s Hector Guzman in the sixth round in Vratsa, Bulgaria on Saturday night (May 9).

The Ricky Hatton-trained bantamweight looked set to have an early night when he dropped Guzman with a wide-arching left hook in the opening round. But things nearly turned around when Zhakiyanov suffered a flash knockdown from a counter right a round later.

Unhurt, Zhakiyanov quickly took control of the contest and by the fourth it was only a matter of time before he found the blows to close the show.

The end came in the sixth when Zhanat rocked Guzman with a hellacious left hook and then knocked him flat onto his back with a pair of rights.

The victory takes his record to 24-1 (17 KOs) and will move him closer to a world title shot. At present, Zhakiyanov is rated at number three by the WBA, number one by the WBC, number seven by the IBF and number five by the WBO.

On the same bill, Hatton Promotions’ unbeaten light-welterweight prospect Kiryl Relikh extended his record to 19-0 (17 KOs) and picked up his first professional title with a two-round blowout of experienced Brazilian Lazaro Santos de Jesus.

Contesting the vacant WBA Inter-Continental crown, Relikh sent his opponent to the canvas in the opening round with a right hook followed by a jolting jab, and he finished things a session later by again dropping Santos de Jesus with a left before the Brazilian’s corner man entered to the ring to save his many from further punishment.

The bill also saw the return of popular Belarusian Sergey Rabchenko following his highly controversial points defeat to Anthony Mundine last November.

Rabchenko, 29, took his time to get the measure of Walter Osvaldo Gaston Calvo before halting him in the fourth of a scheduled six. A solid uppercut followed by a right rocked Calvo and the visitor’s corner decided to throw the towel in despite the fact their man was still swinging.