Sullivan Barrera Training Camp Update Ahead of Jeff Lacy bout Jan. 30 at Foxwoods

wpid-wp-1421890315497.jpeg

image

Mashantucket, CT:
Light Heavyweights Sullivan Barrera (14-0, 9 KOs) and Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy (27-5, 18 KOs) will face off for eight rounds of action on the undercard of the Dargan-Luis card Friday, Jan. 30 at Foxwoods Resort Casino.   
 
  
Barrera, 32, is from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and made his professional debut in his new home state of Florida in 2009. He won all four of his fights in 2014, three by way of stoppage, and is making his second appearance at Foxwoods. In his last fight at Foxwoods, he stopped Eric Watkins in the sixth round. Sullivan has an impressive 64% (9 of 14) knockout-to-win ratio and his last three victories have come by way of knockout.
 

image

Sullivan Barrera
Photo Credits:
Mike Gladysz/Main Events 

“I’ve been in camp since the week after my last fight in November,” explained Barrera. “Camp was excellent. I had the chance to work on a lot of different things. I want to thank my team members, including the one and only GGG [Gennady Golovkin], who’s taught me a lot. I am very thankful to have such a great team.”
  
Barrera’s manager, Luis Molina added, “I am happy to once again have a chance to showcase Sullivan and continue working towards the ultimate goal to be world champion one day.”
  
This will be Sullivan’s third fight with world-renowned trainer, Abel Sanchez, the same trainer known for his work with middleweight world champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin and fellow Main Events’ stable mate Nadjib Mohammedi. Sanchez said, “Jeff Lacy is an experienced, ex-world champion, which cannot be taken lightly. Camp went well. The more time Sullivan and I spend together the easier it becomes for him to see our vision for his career and development towards a world championship and division domination.”
 

image

Barrera and Bryant
Photo Credits: David Spagnolo/Main Events 
 
Sullivan added, “I have really worked on many things during this camp; it’s amazing how much there is to learn. I am eager to get in the ring. Facing an ex-world champion in Jeff Lacy is going to be a tough test. I know he cannot be underestimated but I’m ready to go out there and give the fans what they want to see on January 30. It will be another victory and another step towards a world championship.”
 
Lacy, 37, made his professional debut in 2001 and remained undefeated for over five years. He is coming off an eight-round unanimous decision victory over Timothy Hall, Jr. in his hometown of St. Petersburg, Florida last month. “I’m looking forward to this fight with Barrera,” explained Lacy. “I am sure that by him wanting this fight with me he is too, and that is what hungers me more!” Lacy also has an impressive knockout-to-win ratio of 67% (18 of 27) so this fight is unlikely to go the distance.  
 
Main Events CEO Kathy Duva said, “After 14 fights, it’s time for Sullivan to start stepping up. Jeff Lacy was with Main Events early in his career. He’s a former world champion and a tough competitor. This is the right fight for Sullivan at this point in his career and an opportunity for Jeff to jump-start his own. We’re looking forward to a big year for Sullivan Barrera and it starts on January 30!”
 
About January 30
Presented by Main Events in association with Greg Cohen Promotions, the Jan. 30 edition of Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 and will take place at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, CT. It features a ten-round lightweight battle between undefeated contender Karl “Dynamite” Dargan (17-0, 9 KOs) against Tony “The Lightning” Luis (18-2, 7 KOs) for the WBC Continental Americas Lightweight Championship in the main event. The co-feature is an eight-round middleweight bout between Thomas Falowo (12-3, 8 KOs) against Russell Lamour (11-0, 5 KOs). The remaining undercard bouts will be announced shortly. Tickets are $40, $60 and $75 and available now through Foxwoods.com and the Foxwoods box office. The doors will open at 5:00 PM ET and the Friday Night Fights telecast will begin at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN2.

David Lemieux vs. Fernando Guerrero Set as Co-Feature to Stevenson-Fonfara May 24

MONTREAL (April 10, 2014) — Groupe Yvon Michel (GYM) is presenting an evening of thunder, “Collision: Stevenson vs. Fonfara,” May 24 at Bell Centre in Montreal. The co-feature will mark the SHOWTIME debut of powerful Quebec middleweight David Lemieux (31-2-0, 29 KOs), who takes on Dominican Republic-born, American fighter Fernando Guerrero (26-2-0, 19 KOs) for the vacant NABF title.
 
The IBF #10 and WBO #11 rated Lemieux has an incredible opportunity to break into the international scene in the 160-pound division. He has made vital changes since his loss to current WBC interim champion Marco Antonio Rubio ( 59-6-1, 51 KOs), riding a six-fight win streak, five coming by knockout, into his May 24 showdown with former world title challenger Guerrero.
 
The 25-year-old Lemieux has paid his dues in order to become a more effective and dangerous fighter.  Last November in Laval (Quebec), IBF # 6 ranked Jose Miguel Torres (27-6-0, 24 KOs) was stopped in the seventh round, his first stoppage in his career, after Lemieux had floored him six times.

Guerrero had a great amateur career, highlighted by being crowned national champion in 2007. His more notables wins as a professional have been over Gabriel Rosado (21-8-0, 13 KOs), Ossie Duran (28-11-3, 11 KOs) and Ishe Smith (25-6-0, 11 KOs. Guerreo In his lone world title shot to date, by way of seventh-round technical knockout to WBO middleweight champion Peter Quillin (30-0-0, 22 KOs) in 2013.  Guerrero has since returned to winning ways and at age 27, he is convinced that he has gained experience and maturity to deserve another world title shot.

“COLLISION,” headlined by the WBC light heavyweight championship fight between defending champion Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (23-1-0, 20 KOs) and challenger Andrzej Fonfara (25-2-0, 15 KOs), is presented by Groupe Yvon Michel (GYM) in association with Warriors Boxing, and co-presented by Mise-O-Jeu and Videotron.

According to the president Yvon Michel of GYM, “David Lemieux is the next big star of the World middleweight division! His presence in the ring literally mesmerizes the crowd as he intensively charges with violent intentions His arrival in the big leagues is eagerly awaited.”

Talented light heavyweight contender Eleider “Storm” Alvarez (14-0-0, 8 KOs) is on a mission to become world champion.  The WBO # 2, WBA # 3 and WBC #10 light heavyweight is in an enviable position in world rankings and ready for anyone. His opponent will be confirmed soon..

Upon his arrival in Montreal from his native Russia, GYM announced it would not drag things regarding the activity and development of its gifted light heavyweight Artur Beterbiev (4-0-0, 4 KOs). Having completed his apprenticeship fighting four bouts  Quebec, the two-time Russian Olympian moves up in rounds and clash, meeting former IBF world light heavyweight champion Jeff ” Left Hook” Lacy (26-4-0, 19 KOs) in a 10-round clash on the stacked “Collision” card. After an absence of several years, the 2000 U.S. Olympian won his last fight this past November against Martin Verdin (20-17-2, 11 KOs). Lacy is a sleek, experienced opponent and Beterbiev’s first major test as a professional.

Unbeaten welterweight Mikael Zewski (23-0-0, 18 KOs) also returns to the ring May 24 in front of his Quebec fans. Promoted by Top Rank, the popular Zewski will fight for the seventh time in Quebec. He has fought prestigious locations like New York, Las Vegas or Atlantic City. His opponent, Prince “Too Hot” Doku Jr. (18-5-0, 12 KOs), will be fighting for the third consecutive time outside of his native Ghana.

Additional May 24 undercard bouts fights will soon be announced. However, GYM has confirmed the participation of IBF # 7 middleweight Kevin Bizier (24-1-0, 14 KOs), as well as heavyweight Oscar Rivas (13-0-0, 8 KOs), young welterweight Junior Ulysses (1-0-0, 1KO), and Grant Brothers’ heavyweight prospect Erik Bazinian (3-0-0, 3 KOs) .

Forgotten Legends: Ricardo Williams

wpid-Ricardo.jpg

By: Steve Gallegos

Cincinnati, Ohio has produced its share of world champions such as Aaron Pryor, Tim Austin and most Recently Adrien Broner; however there was another fighter from Cincinnati that didn’t make it to the mountaintop. That fighter was Ricardo “Slick Ricky” Williams.

Williams was a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic team that spawned future world champions such as Jermain Taylor, Jeff Lacy, and Brian Viloria. Williams would win a silver medal in Sydney and along with four of his fellow teammates would sign with Dibella Entertainment upon turning pro.

He made his pro debut on January 27, 2001 at Madison Square Garden. He would make his pro debut alongside fellow teammates Jermain Taylor, Jose Navarro, Clarence Vinson and Michael Bennett. The bouts were nationally televised on HBO and Williams was impressive in scoring a 4 th round TKO.

He had a good boxing/puncher style in which he put together combinations beautifully to the body and head. Over the next two years, he was very impressive as he went 8-0-1 including a victory over former world champion Terron Millett; however his conditioning and dedication were starting to come into question.

In February 2003, Williams co-headlined an HBO Boxing After Dark card alongside fellow Cincinnati native Tim Austin. Williams took on unheralded Juan Valenzuela and would lose a lopsided unanimous decision in which he looked underconditioned and uninterested. The night would not go so well for Cincinnati as Tim Austin suffered a TKO loss to Rafael Marquez in the main event.

Williams seemed to drop out of the spotlight after the Valenzuela fight. He would fight three more times over the next two years, dropping a split decision to Manning Galloway in which Williams fought 11 pounds heavier than his normal weight of 140 lbs. Things would only get worse for Williams outside the ring.

In 2005, Williams was charged with conspiracy to distribute cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years in prison. After serving 2 ½ years of his sentence, he was released and made a comeback. He has gone 11-1 from 2008-2012.

Why am I writing this piece? If you ever had the pleasure of seeing Ricardo Williams fight, you saw flashes of a world champion and possible superstar. He’s one of those stories of what could have been. He hasn’t fought since December, 2012 and should he choose to continue fighting, we definitely wish him the best and hope he can finally reach that mountaintop.

image