Sergio Mora Faces Abraham Han Feb. 6th on ESPN Friday Night Fights

New York, NY (1/27/15) – On Friday, Feb. 6, DiBella Entertainment and Goossen Promotions will present an exciting edition of ESPN “Friday Night Fights” when former junior middleweight champion and “The Contender: Season One” winner Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora (27-3-2, 9KO’s) takes on Abraham “Abie” Han (23-1, 14 KO’s) in a 12-round middleweight contest with the vacant USBA title belt at stake. This event is set to take place at MGM Resorts International’s beautiful Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, in Biloxi, Miss. It will be televised live on ESPN2 beginning at 9 p.m. ET. 
 
“This will be a highly competitive fight between two world-ranked middleweights in Mora and Han, on Feb. 6. Both are coming off big victories on HBO Latino in 2014,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “The winner will establish himself as a future championship contender.”
 
“Abie jumped right at this opportunity when it was offered,” said Tom Brown of Goossen Promotions. “It’s a big fight for Abie coming off his win over Marcos Reyes in October and he’ll be well prepared.”
 
“We’re happy that DiBella Entertainment and Goossen Promotions were able to put together such a competitive fight for Sergio on short notice,” said Brian Kweder, ESPN Senior Director of Programming and Acquisitions. “The winner of this fight will no doubt be placing himself in a good position for a title shot in the middleweight division.”
 
While Sergio Mora, rated No. 13 by the IBF, is disappointed now that his world title shot will have to wait, he’s already weathered his share of setbacks and has never given up on his dream. After bypassing on an offer to face Jermain Taylor for his unified middleweight crown back in 2007, Mora grew frustrated by several months of inactivity. However, once he did challenge for his first world title in June 2008, Mora rose to the occasion, moving down in weight to battle WBC 154lb. champion Vernon Forrest. Using his unorthodox style, Mora was able to outbox and outpoint Forrest over 12 rounds to seize the championship. Moving back up to middleweight, a fight with then-champion Kelly Pavlik in 2009 fell through when Pavlik pulled out for medical reasons. Following that disappointment, Mora endured a couple controversial decision defeats, as well as a draw with Shane Mosley.
 
Starting in 2013, Mora regrouped and signed with promoter DiBella Entertainment, and has since put together four straight victories. In June 2013, Mora dominated the 29-2 former world title challenger Grzegorz Proksa on ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights” en route to earning a unanimous decision. He then reeled off consecutive fifth-round knockouts over another world title challenger in Milton Nunez and the 14-1 prospect Samuel Rogers. In both of those contests, Mora employed a more aggressive approach than he had earlier in his career, looking to focus more on his power and entertaining the audience. He ended 2014 with a shutout win over the always-game Dashon Johnson in December. Although the chance to fight for a middleweight world title fell through, Mora is eager to continue on his quest toward achieving that goal and standing in his way is Abraham Han.
 
“It wasn’t meant to be, with me and JT, so now it’s on with Han,” said Mora. “It’s great to be fighting back on ESPN, and for the USBA championship. Han is a tough competitor and the fans should expect a terrific contest, but I am determined to once again prove that I am a world-class fighter. An impressive victory will springboard me toward a world title opportunity.”
 
Coming from a fighting family, the popular Abraham Han, who is from Alabama but trains in Houston, Texas, first excelled at kickboxing, as per his family’s legacy, before deciding to fully focus on boxing. As an amateur, Han gained considerable experience by competing against the likes of Tim Bradley, Daniel Jacobs, Karim Mayfield, Edwin Rodriguez, Fernando Guerrero, Dominic Wade, and others. He started his professional boxing career scoring three first-round knockouts before easily dominating the 6-0 prospect Ibaheim King to earn a six-round unanimous decision in May 2009. Another six consecutive explosive knockouts followed, all within three rounds or less, demonstrating the power that Han possesses.
 
Building his record to 19-0, Han was featured on ESPN’s “Friday Night Fights” in July 2013, facing the unbeaten Glen Tapia. Engaging Tapia in an exciting war, Han was not only hampered by having to move down to junior middleweight, but also by suffering a severe cut from a head clash early in the fight. He has since bolstered his career with four victories in a row, including a brutal second-round stoppage over veteran contender Juan Carlos Candelo, halting him quicker than anyone had previously, for the Universal Boxing Federation middleweight championship. In his last bout on October 18, at the Stub Hub Center, in Carson, California, Han, a considerable underdog going in, impressively earned a 10-round decision over the 32-1 heavy-handed, world-rated Marcos Reyes in a bout televised by HBO Latino. He is now ranked No. 15 by the IBF.
 
“I’m very excited to face Sergio Mora on Friday, February 6,” said Abraham Han. “With my win over Marcos Reyes last October, I’m confident that I will be fully prepared to come out victorious against Mora as well.”
 
Tickets are on sale now at a reduced rate and are priced at $20.95, $34.95, $48.95 and $62.95, plus tax and service charges. They can be purchased at the Beau Rivage Theatre box office, through any Ticketmaster outlet or online at Ticketmaster.com. Doors open at 4:45 p.m., with the first bout scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Sergio Mora: ” I Wasn’t Ready to Fight Jermain Taylor in 2007. I’m More Than Ready Now”

New York, NY (1/7/15) – On Friday, Feb. 6, DiBella Entertainment and Goossen Promotions will present an exciting edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights when IBF middleweight champion Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor (33-4-1, 20KO’s) puts his IBF middleweight championship crown on the line against former junior middleweight champion and “The Contender: Season One” winner Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora (27-3-2, 9KO’s). The 12-round championship bout is set take place at MGM Resorts International’s beautiful Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, in Biloxi, Miss. It will be televised live on ESPN2 beginning at 9 p.m. ET.
 
“This is a highly competitive fight and a very important one for the 160lb. division,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “This is a huge opportunity for both Jermain and Sergio and it is a fight that nearly happened many years ago. Now both of their careers have come full circle and we anticipate a very exciting ‘must-win’ fight between two of the best middleweights in the world on Feb. 6.”
 
“I’m honored to work with my good friend Lou DiBella on this highly anticipated IBF middleweight championship between Jermain Taylor and Sergio Mora on Feb. 6, telecast live on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights,” said Tom Brown of Goossen Promotions.
 
“Jermain Taylor’s world title fight in October against Sam Soliman was the second highest-rated fight of the year on ESPN2,” said Brian Kweder, ESPN Senior Director of Programming and Acquisitions. “We expect similar results in what promises to be an even more action-packed fight against Sergio Mora.”  
 
“MGM Resorts International and Beau Rivage are pleased to host this middleweight championship bout and have Taylor defend his title in the same great venue where he earned it back just a few short months ago,” said George P. Corchis, Jr., President and COO of MGM Resorts International’s Southern Operations. “We look forward to putting on another world-class televised event and showcasing a great fight.”
 
Seven years after losing his middleweight crown to Kelly Pavlik, Jermain Taylor regained the IBF title on Oct. 8 of last year defeating veteran Australian belt-holder Sam Soliman via unanimous decision. Over the course of 12 rounds, held at Beau Rivage, Taylor dictated the pace with a thudding and consistent jab. Using that punch to set up his power shots, Taylor went on to knock down Soliman a total of four times in the most impressive victory of his comeback thus far that began in 2011 following a two-year layoff.
 
It was in 2005 that Taylor upset Hall-of-Famer Bernard Hopkins to become the undisputed middleweight champion. Taylor made four successful defenses of his belts, before moving up to the super middleweight division and later briefly retiring following back-to-back losses. Taylor returned to the ring in December of 2011, and put together four impressive victories to earn his shot at Soliman. Now with a championship belt back firmly around his waist, Taylor is ready to begin his second reign as middleweight champion of the world when he takes on the former champion Mora.
 
“I am thrilled to be returning to Beau Rivage in Biloxi to defend my IBF middleweight world title,” said Jermain Taylor. “Regaining the belt meant everything to me and I will be 100 percent focused in training camp to retain my championship. On February 6, boxing fans will be in for a real exciting night of action when I defeat the Latin Snake, Sergio Mora.”
 
Sergio Mora, now rated No. 13 by the IBF, was originally supposed to face Taylor for his unified middleweight crown back in 2007, but the fight never materialized. However, after some months of inactivity and frustration, Mora finally received his first world title shot in June 2008, going down in weight to challenge WBC 154lb. champion Vernon Forrest. Using his unorthodox style, Mora was able to outbox and outpoint Forrest over 12 rounds to seize the championship. Moving back up to middleweight, a fight with then-champion Pavlik in 2009 fell through when Pavlik pulled out for medical reasons. Following that disappointment, Mora endured a couple controversial decision defeats, as well as a draw with Shane Mosley.
 
Starting in 2013, Mora regrouped and signed with promoter DiBella Entertainment, and has since put together four straight victories. In June 2013, Mora dominated the 29-2 former world title challenger Grzegorz Proksa on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights en route to earning a unanimous decision. He then reeled off consecutive fifth-round knockouts over another world title challenger in Milton Nunez and the 14-1 prospect Samuel Rogers. In both of those contests, Mora employed a more aggressive approach than he had earlier in his career, looking to focus more on his power and entertaining the audience. He ended 2014 with a shutout win over the always-game Dashon Johnson in December. Now that his career has come full circle, nearly eight years after he initially turned down the chance to face Taylor, Mora, at 34 years old, has the opportunity of a lifetime.
 
“I’m a firm believer in destiny,” said Mora. “My trainer Dean Campos instilled that in me early in my career. The fight is happening now for a reason. I wasn’t ready to fight Taylor then [in 2007]. I’m more than ready now. I don’t believe in coincidences. I believe in destiny.”
 
Tickets are on sale now and priced at $29.95, $49.95, $69.95 and 89.95, plus tax and service charges. They can be purchased at the Beau Rivage Theatre box office, through any Ticketmaster outlet or online at Ticketmaster.com. Doors open at 4:45 p.m., with the first bout scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Oscar Escandon vs Tyson Cave Scheduled as WBA Super Bantamweight Eliminator

image
Sampson Lewkowicz of Sampson Boxing, promoter of Colombian slugger Oscar Escandon and Canadian southpaw Tyson “Prince of Hali” Cave, wishes to correct erroneous reports about the pair’s upcoming showdown.
 
Escandon (23-1, 16 KOs) and Cave (22-2, 6 KOs) will meet on Thursday, December 11, in one of the featured bouts when Goossen Promotions returns to the Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California, for “NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS” a three-hour ESPN Boxing Special, televised LIVE on ESPN 2, ESPN Deportes and WatchESPN beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT.
 
“The fight between Oscar Escandon and Tyson Cave is not for the Interim title, it is a 12-round World Boxing Association Super Bantamweight Eliminator,” said Lewkowicz. “The WBA has already approved that the winner of this fight will then face the champion, Scott Quigg, next year.”
 
Advance tickets starting at $55.00 can be purchased through the Pechanga Resort and Casino website (www.Pechanga.com) or by calling 1-877-711-2946. Doors on the night of the event will open at 4:00 p.m. with the first bell at 5:00 p.m. 
 
Headlining the event will be the return to Pechanga and ESPN of former junior middleweight world champion Austin “No Doubt Trout (27-2, 14 KOs) of Las Cruces, New Mexico, in 10-round clash against tough Mexican veteran Luis “Slayer” Grajeda (17-3-2, 13 KOs).
 
In the televised co-main event will be a 10-round heavyweight clash featuring two-time former heavyweight world title challenger and longtime Southern California fan favorite Cris “The Nightmare” Arreola (35-4, 31 KOs) against an opponent to be announced.  
 
Also appearing at “NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS” in a 10-round heavyweight battle will be former light heavyweight world champion Antonio “The Magic Man” Tarver (30-6-1, 21 KOs) of Tampa, Florida against an opponent that is also to be announced.
Among the world class fighters rounding out the card in separate bouts are: former world champion and winner of The Contender Season One, Sergio “The Latin Snake” Mora (26-3-2, 9 KOs) of Los Angeles; former world title challenger Edwin “La Bomba” Rodriguez (25-1, 16 KOs) of Worcester, MA; former super bantamweight world champion Rico “Suavecito” Ramos (23-4, 12 KOs) of Los Angeles; 2012 U.S. Olympian and hot light heavyweight prospects “Sir’ Marcus Browne (12-0, 9 KOs) of New York City and Ahmed Elbiali (8-1, 7 KOs) of Cairo, Egypt.
 
Additional information on the undercard bouts will be announced shortly.